Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Your Turn … and Thanks.

What a year it’s been here at FBB. We’ve watched in awe as Kobe Bryant poured in 81. We’ve watched in anger as Larry Brown tore apart the New York Knicks and ruined the fantasy value of about 10 players over the course of the season. We’ve watched with disappointment as one stud after another – even model-of-consistency Kevin Garnett - shut it down in the final two weeks of the season. We’ve watched with excitement as Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Boris Diaw and Mehmet Okur made “The Leap.” We’ve watched with confusion as Samuel Dalembert made the leap, and then leapt backward just as quickly.

And as our first full season of blabbing about fantasy basketball winds to a close, we’re already putting an eye towards next year. That’s where you guys come in. Unquestionably, my favorite part of this season has been reading all of the great comments we’ve had on this blog. You all have a bunch of great opinions and insight, and yesterday was a great example, as I decided against doing the Pick n’ Play, and then Jeremy came through with a great comment on guys to pick up for tonight. So now that we’re just about closing down for the year (DM will have a last post tomorrow), my question for you is this:

What do you want from FBB next year?

What’s worked for you this year? What hasn’t worked? What would you like to see more of? What are you seeing too much of?

You can either post a comment about it below, or you can always e-mail us at the address up at the top of our sidebar. But we’d love to know what we can do to make this site a better resource. We’re also considering taking the site off of blogspot, so if there are any other tools or things you’re interested in seeing, let us know – use your imagination!

Tomorrow, DM will have his wrap-up post, and we might throw in a post here or there during the playoffs and around draft time, but this is it as far as a regular post for me this year. So good luck to everyone tonight, and thanks for reading!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Andy said...

I've been reading all season and I think this blog has been a great resource since it is updated so often with lots of different information. Plus, I love that you post real articles with insight behind your recommendations, not one-line "pick this guy up" stuff like some blogs. I've found the comments by my fellow posters insightful as well.

I loved the addition of the Head-to-Head's Up column because that's the type of league my buddies like to play on Yahoo!. I'm hoping next year there is more analysis on how to draft an H2H league.

Also, I think many people play in daily transaction leagues. Something that I looked at when adding/dropping players this year is whether teams are playing on "off" days or not. In other words, a waiver wire pickup who has a three-game week can be more valuable than someone with a four-game week in a daily league if the three games happen to be on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. You probably won't play the guy from the wire over your regular starters if his games are on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. This is obviously not something that comes into play when adding people for the long term, but it does come up in daily leagues and could use a mention here and there.

Other than that, great job. FBB is definitely one of the best sites for fantasy basketball junkies on the 'net.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous J said...

Excellent first year! Here is what I want to see more of. The single most hardest thing to achieve in Fantasy Basketball (not counting Draft day): trades. Trades are extremely hard to set up and get approved. People are only willing to trade players of equivalent values, but then what's the point? And if you can get someone to trade a player below its value, the trade gets rejected by the others. Trading one category for another is the only way to go, but how many rebounds are assists worth for example? You get the idea.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I must say, this is my first year playing fantasy 'anything', and I have really gotten into it, having won all of my leagues (H2H). I think I'm pretty good at it, and might look to doing some fantasy blogging opportunities of my own for next year.

Something brought up earlier in the year was the idea of punting 3's, which is an interesting strategy to take. If you got Dwane Wade, Chris Bosh and other high percentage shooters, you could easily stack your team with "big men", relative to position of course (guys like Diaw, Josh Smith or Delonte West at guard), and ride your way by consistently winning most of the categories.

I play in a 12-Cat league, and I must say that a minutes-oriented approach is great, as most players perform when given minutes (look at Mike James last year and this year).

Anyways, I'm out for now, but I wish you all the best of luck. Now I get to get all into the NBA draft and wait for next year to begin.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rook said...

This site is the most useful fantasy site I've ever encountered. You guys have measured, sage advice that avoids jumping on all the latest fads... and the blog is very well written as well. I like the mix of articles and direct advice, and I REALLY enjoy the quantitative articles about the true value of a steal per game, etc.

I'd say your biggest challenge is accounting for all the different formats out there. H2H vs. roto hsa been covered -- I'd prefer that you continued with mostly roto analysis with some H2H-specific stuff sprinkled in. As I've noted in prior comments, I play in, and really enjoy, a roto league that counts turnovers. There are strong feelings on whether this is a good idea or not -- I like it because it creates another wrinkle and makes it possible for a player to have value in another way. In my league, one guy was competitive with a low-TO, high-percentage strategy that was very clever. Fantasy gets boring if the guy who ends up with all the most marquee names automatically wins. (My league also plays with field goals made to make scoring more important than just one category, but I digress.)

Anyway, I bring this up because it'll be important moving forward to state your assumptions. When you publish (as I hope you will) rankings for next year's draft, it would be really helpful to throw in reminders of how adding categories (especially TOs) changes players' values. David West becomes a lot more valuable, Gilbert Arenas somewhat less so, etc.

Keep up the good work!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Biggs said...

First off, let me say great job guys. As a fellow fantasy basketball blogger, and one who pales in comparison to the quality coming out of Fantasy Basketball Blog, I’ve experienced the difficulty of staying relevant while attempting to cover everything that’s happening in the NBA. It’s clear that you guys work your asses off in order to get detailed and meaningful posts up everyday or almost everyday. That fact that there is a reason to check out your site everyday is a big accomplishment and something that makes your blog a must read.

I would say that the main reason why I come to your site rather than go someplace else is that you provide meaningful and useful information for people who play in fantasy leagues. That may not sound like much, but I don’t think there are a lot of sites out there that actually HELP fantasy basketball players. Most just point out funny/interesting stuff that’s happening in the NBA on any given day (complete with funny pictures). When I need to pick up a player off wavers, I usually check out your site because you have up to date information on who is out there and what you expect from them going forward. And best of all, your predictions usually have more validity than a lot of the major sites (coughESPNcough) out there.

So, keep up the good work. And most of all, keep working your asses off to help me win my fantasy basketball leagues.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home